Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Amy's been bugging me to start a blog with our departure only weeks away.  It seems fitting both chronologically and in light of the blistering heat outside now to start with the 200k, the first qualifier of the year.  After all, it was 18 degrees at the start of the ride.  Cold enough that I wondered if my shifters would just up and freeze.  (But not mine.  They're Campy, right?)  64 riders registered and less than half actually showed up.  That moment of hesitation before the start: "Should I add one more layer of clothing?  (Even though I know I'll shed it in an hour?)"
The ride started on March 26, and it was a crystal clear, starry morning.  I drove up from Cincinnati to Springfield at some merciless hour for the 7:30am beginning.  By the first control the sun was out, but the wind froze my goatee solid.  The teenybopper clerk at the convenient store stared at me with wide eyes and exclaimed "Omigod!  Your beard!  It's frozen!"  Yeah, well, it's cold out there.  Would you please sign my card?
The trick was to keep moving and not let those nagging doubts about enough training after an icy winter slow me down.  I ended up riding with a new, faster group of people, cramping miserably only miles from the end, but finishing nonetheless - ultimately the only important result toward qualification for PBP.

No comments:

Post a Comment