Friday, July 29, 2011

A Surprise Bicycle Birthday Party (for a 40-year old!)

The cake was a true work of art!
Chris will be one week shy of his 41st birthday when he finishes his 760-mile trek across France.  His 40th year rolled in on two wheels and it's only fitting that he usher it out in the same way.

I wanted to do something extra special for Chris' 40th birthday and I wanted that "extra special" to include recognition and celebration of his goal to ride in the Paris-Brest-Paris event.  So I did the one thing that I swore I'd never do.  I planned a surprise party for him.

A true work of art!
I can't keep a secret.  I don't intentionally spill the beans, but invariably I do.  I started planning Chris' surprise party months in advance.  More than enough time to get things done, ordered, organized.  Far too much time if you can't keep a secret.  I would not be surprised if Chris, at some point, suspected I was having an affair.
Chris and Glenn with well deserved beers in hand!

      I did amazingly well.  Chris did admit that he thought something might be up when he saw next to my laptop a scribbled list of names of our family and friends.  God love 'em.  He never said a word or tried to figure out the details.

     With the help of our amazing family and friends, we plotted to surprise Chris at the end of a long ride that our dear friend, Glenn, organized (a ride that would end up picking up a couple of new riders who had no idea what was about to unfold.)

Dave Might made this cake topper of Chris
     Friends and family gathered at Laura's house (Glenn's significant other and another dear friend of ours).  Glenn made up a story about leaving his wallet at Laura's house the night before and could the guys all take a quick detour so he could grab it from her?

     As they rolled up to Laura's, she gave us the signal and we all came pouring out of the side yard, yelling "SURPRISE," and laughing at the look of confusion on Chris' face.  Then laughing harder as he realizes what's going on. The outpouring of love, support, good-natured teasing, admiration, and encouragement for Chris was just plain awesome.  He and I both realized how lucky, how fortunate, how truly grateful we are that these beautiful people are a part of our lives.  You know who you are!  And we know that your good vibes and positive energy will surround Chris every minute that he is on that bike, pedaling hundreds of miles across France and making 40 look pretty darn great!

 

1 comment:

  1. The cake topper is an amazing likeness and the cake is a beautiful design! Gary and I look forward to following your blog and wish you the best in your PBP adventure!

    ReplyDelete